NAPLES, POMPEII AND HERCULANEUM
THE THOUSAND TREASURES OF NAPLES AND THE MYSTERIOUS CHARMS OF THE CITIES BURIED BY VESUVIUS.
The ancient history of NAPLES is spectacular from its churches, the palace and the remarkable underground that runs beneath the city; you will sure to be mesmerised by this great city. The Cathedral, The Angevin, The San Severo Chapel with the extraordinary Veiled Christ, San Gregorio Armeno, Piazza Del Jesus, are just some of the famous landmarks that make it one of the most unique cities in the world. A must stop in one of the restaurants that still make the real Neapolitan pizza, followed by agood espresso in one of the bars in the centre, accompanied perhaps with a classic puff pastry or a rum baba.
From Relais Blu you can reach Naples with:
- Private car, in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Hydrofoil from the port of Sorrento, in 40 minutes will take you directly next to the historic center.
- Train (Circumvesuviana), leaving every 30 minutes from Sorrento. The journey time to downtown Naples centre is approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
POMPEII is one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world. When Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79AD, this Roman city was completely covered in ash and has been suspended in time ever since. A visit to the archaeological excavations of Pompeii is a truly unique experience. Witness the domes with their frescoes, the shops,the splendid mosaics and the casts of the victims of the eruption. Pompeii is a wonderful and mysterioussite not to be missed.
Pompeii can be reached by car in about 45 minutes from the Relais Blu.
- By train, the Circumvesuviana line, trains leave every half hour from Sorrento station and takes 30 mins to Pompeii.
- We can organise private drive who will accompany you to Pompeii and if you wish, supply you with a private archaeological guide.
HERCULANEUM is the perfect addition to the archaeological sister site of Pompeii. Despite only being partly excavated, this ancient city offers perfectdetail. You will witness perfectly preserved shops, businesses and houses, allowing you to completely understand the habits and customs of the men of the first century. One of the main interests is the Villa of the Papyri, which houses a library in the form of papyrus that is invaluable and provides key information to the culture of that time. A few steps from the excavations and definitely worth visiting is the MAV, a centre of culture and technology applied to cultural heritage and communication technology. Through extraordinary and faithful reconstructions, you can take a virtual plunge back in time to discover the towns of Herculaneum and Pompeii just before the eruption of Vesuvius.
Herculaneum is accessible by car and is about 55 minutes from the Relais Blu.
- By train, the local Circumvesuviana line, trains leave every half hour from Sorrento station, it takes about 40 minutes.
- We can organise private drive who will accompany you to Herculaneum and if you wish, supply you with a private archaeological guide.